You’ve been feeling self-conscious about your crooked teeth, but you’re too old to get braces. Besides, you don’t want to give up popcorn and taffy. Lucky for you, there are other options – the clear aligners of Invisalign. These aligners gradually straighten your teeth as you wear them, making them a great way to subtly perfect your smile. Keep reading as we learn more about clear aligners and how they work.
How Do Clear Aligners Work?
Clear aligners are essentially removable plastic replicas of your teeth. Each set, which you will wear for about 2 weeks before switching to the next one, represents a different step in your transition to a straighter smile. Wearing these aligners places gentle pressure on your teeth that repositions them ever so slightly, which is why it’s important you wear them for at least 20-22 hours a day, as directed by your dentist.
How Are Clear Aligners Better Than Traditional Braces?
Clear aligners, such as Invisalign, provide several benefits that metal braces do not:
- No dietary restrictions
- Fewer maintenance and checkup trips to the orthodontist
- Easier brushing and flossing since they’re removable
- Nearly invisible
What Are My Options for Clear Aligners?
Invisalign is a brand name that has become synonymous with the whole product, much like Kleenex. However, there are a few different brands of clear aligners, such as:
- Invisalign. Invisalign pioneered this technology, so they have become the most famous. They have developed different types of aligners for different age groups and to suit different levels of misalignment.
- ClearCorrect. ClearCorrect aligners were created in America and are manufactured in Texas. They function very similarly to Invisalign in that you must wear them for 22 hours a day for maximum effectiveness.
- Clearstep. Clearstep aligners are mainly only available in Europe and Asia. The company also produces a whitening gel to be worn inside the aligners to kill two birds with one stone.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign Specifically?
As stated earlier, Invisalign created the concept of clear plastic aligners. They are a trusted brand that has become a household name. They also have a few other benefits, such as:
- Each aligner is trimmed so as not to irritate the gumline.
- They have a blue compliance indicator to make sure your teen is wearing it often enough.
- They make Invisalign Teen specifically for younger smiles.
- Invisalign Teen Guarantee says that if you’re unsatisfied with treatment after 6 months, your teen can switch to braces for free.
Although Invisalign offers the clearest benefits, any plastic aligner can do a wonderful job of straightening your teeth without the discomfort and restrictions of metal braces. Talk to your dentist today if you’re interested in Invisalign.
About the Practice
At Peaks View Dental in Bedford, VA, we treat you like family. Our team of 5 general dentists work with you and educate you on the best treatment plans available. We are open on Fridays for your convenience. To get started on your Invisalign treatment, click here or call us at (540)-586-8106.